twitter
rss

I know it's not Thursday yet, so just consider this either a late or early Secular Thursday post. :)

There is really no other way to put it. Rock Beyond Belief has been cancelled and this is very upsetting to me. Granted I wouldn’t have been able to make it to the event, I was still encouraged by seeing it take off. Then it gets dealt this blow which, honestly I’m not shocked about, but it still sucks. 23.4% of our armed forces fall under the “none” label, our household obviously falls in this bracket, and there was this flicker of light at the end of the overtly Christian tunnel for something enjoyable.

Something that could have taken off and inspired other events at different bases, which would have increased the chance that we would have something enjoyable *on base* to go to as a family. Something where we didn’t have to worry about addressing the music that would be played, who would be speaking, and more importantly who would be there enjoying the event.

I don’t think people realize the vast reach of Christianity in the military, to the point where even other religions get treated like garbage. During the holidays the music is overtly Christian despite the other holidays that take place around the same time. The bookstore only displays Christmas themed books and when I inquired about them possibly having some in the back that weren’t Christmas themed I was told all they had was what was out there. No Hanukkah, no Kwanzaa, and no Yule/Winter Solstice. The little bit of lip service that was paid to the Jewish community at the base exchange was pathetic, and I’m not even Jewish yet I could see the obvious slap in the face. Honestly, how can you have a Jewish display for Hanukkah WITHOUT a menorah?!

The Couples Retreats are Christian, the ceremonies/dinners/events only feature Christian prayers *which is a big reason why The Spouse only goes to the ones he absolutely has no choice but to attend*. Shockingly, we *and most people for that matter* wouldn’t have an issue if they actually acknowledged the other groups in our armed services. It might even be a chance to LEARN about another group. We’ve had Christianity shoved down our throats our whole lives and we’re rather SICK of it. A chance to learn about how another group does their prayers/blessings/whatever might actually be good for some people to be exposed to.

Yet…it doesn’t happen. Even though our country has an establishment clause in our Constitution…you know that piece of paper our armed forces swear (or affirm) to protect. No other groups get attention, I expect them *sadly* to blow off Atheist/Agnostic/Humanist/and the like, but the other religious groups get the same cold shoulder.

I commend Sgt. Griffith for his efforts. And maybe one day there will be something none religious families can attend, but I won’t be holding my breath for it.

Copyright(c)2011 Rayven Holmes

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts, but be warned if you are here to be hateful no one will see your comments...unless I'm in a foul mood at which point I will let my minions loose on you. Muwhahahahaaa. ;)